All images and information ©Matthew Schwartz | Another World Terraria
The concept of this piece is that you are viewing an epiphyte-covered branch in the jungle canopy. There is no terrestrial element; it’s entirely composed of a suspended branch, as if it were sliced from the forest and placed in the glass box.
I know there are some other branchariums out there, but I honestly came up with the concept on my own a very long time ago, before I ever saw any other examples. It’s taken many years for this idea to become a reality since I first envisioned it.
The branch is approximately 35″ long.
It is lit with a NICREW ClassicLED for a 13 hour photoperiod.
There is a 60mm PC fan hanging at one end of the tank (removed for the photo) which turns on and off periodically throughout the day to reduce mold growth and keep the epiphytic plants growing better.
The tank is an Aquatop 12 gallon bookshelf aquarium.
The dimensions are approximately 35.5″ x 8.25″ x 9.5″
- Specklinia microphylla
- Specklinia dressleri
- Barbosella dusenii
- Bulbophyllum maquilingense (Yellow form)
- Fern sp Ecuador (Asplenium sp? Micro size)
- Fern sp Ecuador (Asplenium sp? Small size)
- Fern sp Ecuador (Grammitidaceae family?)
- Asplenium holophlebium
- Cochlidium serrulatum (Ecuador)
- Elaphoglossum peltatum (Micro bisected frond, Ecuador)
- Elaphoglossum peltatum (Ecuador mini)
- Elaphoglossum piloselloides
- Elaphoglossum sp Ecuador (Ribbed pointy frond)
- Peperomia cf. emarginella (Smooth beveled leaf)
- Streptocarpus pumilus
- Gomesa radicans
- Bulbophyllum alagense (Small form)
- Bulbophyllum sp.
- Hypopterygium sp (large)
- Hypopterygium sp (small)
- Schistochila sp
- Trichocolea sp.
- Plagiochilaceae spp
- Octoblepharum sp
- Miscellaneous other moss and liverwort spp.
Even though the brancharium idea was mine, I still gleaned ideas and inspiration from other branchariums over the years. I would like to credit Mikael Karlbom for the great photos and info he posted about his lovely brancharium, as well as a few other people who showcased their designs and ideas.